My Sportina 620 keel / kiel is stuck

I hit some submerged rocks with my keel at about 5kph. I raised the keel enough to continue and then fully raised it with difficulty when I moored. The mooring ddries out and the keel pushed right up. It is now jammed (stuck). I have tried to push it down from the deck but it will not move. I think I need to lift the keel out but I do not know how. Any help with pictures or drawings will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ik raakte een aantal verzonken rotsen met mijn kiel bij ongeveer 5 km / u. Ik tilde de kiel voldoende op om verder te gaan en bracht hem toen met moeite volledig omhoog toen ik aanmeerde. De ligplaats droogt uit en de kiel wordt recht omhoog geduwd. Het zit nu vast (vast). Ik heb geprobeerd het van het dek naar beneden te duwen, maar het wil niet bewegen. Ik denk dat ik de kiel eruit moet halen, maar ik weet niet hoe. Alle hulp met foto’s of tekeningen wordt zeer op prijs gesteld. Dank je.

Hi Brian,

Am I correct in understanding that your boat is in a tidal area and lies on its hull when the tide is out?

I looked up this post (dutch) but if you hit the translate button it should work.

@Rob_Listo should be able to clarify his post too.

Hope this is a starting point. In order to have a good look at what has happened you need to hoist the boat up I guess. Could be that the keelhead came off the keel itself and that is causing the jam. It is a known weak spot.

Koen

In this post is a HOW TO remove the keel cable:

Then remove the mast supports left and right and lift the keel from te top side of the boat.

Regards, Rob

Thank you for your response. The boat is now on a trailer. What is the keel head? The roller wheels are in the guide track.

Bolted On top of the keel is a stainless steel plate. Welded on this plate is a triangle shaped box with the rollers.
On impact the welds can crack and the triangle, the keel head, will come lose.

When I bought my boat this was the case and I had to search for a stainless steel welder.

Regards, Rob

Ok - that could be a possibility as the keel was very difficult to raise before I hit the rock! It seems it would make sense if it is the keel head or the guide track is damaged that I will need to remove the keel. I would be really pleased to get advice on how to do that and any helpful photos.

Ok - dat zou een mogelijkheid kunnen zijn, want de kiel was erg moeilijk te heffen voordat ik de rots raakte! Het lijkt logisch dat als de kielkop of de geleidingsbaan beschadigd is, ik de kiel moet verwijderen. Ik zou graag advies krijgen over hoe dat te doen en eventuele nuttige foto’s.
(Google translate)

Brian

Thanks

Brian

Unfortunaly I do not have any pictures of the operation. Back then I just bought the boat and thougt I bought a pig in a poke and was concentrated on repairing.
Advice: remove the keel cable as described. With the boat on the trailer you can probably leave the keel in place. Remove the bolts who attach the stainless plate to the keel, remove the keel head. We take it from there.

Gr Rob

Thank you for your advice. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Yes would be very nice if you could relate your experiences here.

I’ve finally started to repair my keel! I’ve removed the winch drum and the mast foot and surround. My next job is to lift the keel out. Can anyone tell me how heavy the keel is so I can make sure the equipment will lift it.

Ik ben eindelijk begonnen met het repareren van mijn kiel! Ik heb de liertrommel en de mastvoet en rand verwijderd. Mijn volgende taak is om de kiel eruit te halen. Kan iemand mij vertellen hoe zwaar de kiel is, zodat ik er zeker van kan zijn dat de apparatuur hem zal optillen.

the keel weighs in at about 300 kilo’s so I’d suggest find someone with a forklift, and a good lifting rope/cable.
I dont know where your boat is situated, but most marina’s either have a forklift or other lifting devices.
Good luck, and post some pics of the repair, I might have to do the same coming winter :wink:

Thank you, that’s helpful. I’ll post some pictures when I lift the keel out.

Good luck, keep calm and steady on :wink:

Vergeet het hijsoogje boven aan de achterzijde van de kielkast niet te verwijderen
Contra moeren aan de binnenzijde onder het plafond
Met een heftruck de kiel aan de onderkant met beleid optillen totdat het deel met de rollen boven het dek uitkomt
Kiel opstoppen
Hijsband bevestigen en eruit trekken

I have finally had my keel removed by a friendly farmer with a telehandler. The keel is very coroded at the top and the keel head has pulled away with one bolt head sheared off. I definitely need a new keel head and possibly a new keel if I can’t remove the remaining bolts. I would appreciate advice on repair or replacement. Where can I get a new keel head? I will try to upload some relevant photos.

Ik heb eindelijk mijn kiel laten verwijderen door een bevriende boer met een verreiker. De kiel is aan de bovenkant erg gecorrodeerd en de kielkop is weggetrokken waarbij één boutkop is afgescheurd. Ik heb absoluut een nieuwe kielkop nodig en mogelijk een nieuwe kiel als ik de resterende bouten niet kan verwijderen. Ik zou graag advies willen over reparatie of vervanging. Waar kan ik een nieuwe kielkop krijgen? Ik zal proberen wat relevante foto’s te uploaden.

Thank you for your advice. You willl see from the photos I removed the metal surround to the keel slot and the lifting eye. I used the lifting cable still attached to the keel to lift it out from the boat. I just needed to add another rope to stop it swinging. Video and pictures to follow which might help others.

Bedankt voor je advies. Op de foto’s kun je zien dat ik de metalen rand van de kielsleuf en het hijsoog heb verwijderd. Ik gebruikte de hijskabel die nog aan de kiel vastzat om hem uit de boot te tillen. Ik moest alleen nog een touw toevoegen om het slingeren te stoppen. Video en foto’s volgen die anderen kunnen helpen.

Here is the link to the keel removal video. The telehandler operator was very skilled. There is added commentary from my grand daughter and daughter in-law!
Sportina 620 keel removal

Hier is de link naar de video over het verwijderen van de kiel. De machinist van de verreiker was zeer bekwaam. Er is commentaar toegevoegd van mijn kleindochter en schoondochter!

1 Like

Whoa! Must be good to have accomplished this and now knowing the state of things. The keel and head already parting ways… safety first!

Perhaps the keel can be saved after clearing the rust. A new head can be modeled after an existing one. Mine is now welded to the keel but both the keel and head are same material stainless steel.

Do keep us posted!

Koen

Wow… good job!
Once parted The keel can be sandblasted and preserved.
If you bring the keel head to a stainless steel worskshop they can make a new one. I had the same done when I bought my boat. Since then no more problems.

Regards, Rob

I am scared to see what my keel will look like if I see this.
Good job so far, I hope you get the repair done, and hope to see more photo’s or video’s of that.
Thanks!